We though a new blog and a new year would be a good time to start a woven wrap challenge! We will be doing the 30 Days 30 Carries Wrap Challenge (thanks to Babywearing International of the Bay Area for the idea). Each day we will post about a different carry and provide YouTube tutorials, troubleshooting tips and tricks for wrapping with that carry. This is great for new wrappers who want to learn the basics of wrapping along with new carries as well as seasoned wrappers who want to re-discover carries they haven't used in a while!
Before we get started on our first carry, here are some woven wrap basics:
- The center of the wrap is often marked with a middle marker.
- The two edges of the wrap lengthwise are called “rails”.
- The ends of the wrap that hang down are called “tails”.
- When you bring the wrap around your body, this is called a “pass”. Wearing Wiki has some wonderful information and photos of each type of pass here.
- Remember, you can use a longer wrap with any of the shorter carries. You’ll just have longer tails that you can either let hang or wrap around your waist again.
Here's a few important babywearing safety tips you should always follow:
- Make sure you can monitor your child's airway at all times while babywearing. When baby is not nursing, keep him or her in an upright position on your chest and "close enough to kiss" so you can monitor their breathing. Always return baby to the upright position after nursing, even if they fall asleep nursing.
- Inspect your carriers before using them for broken buckles, frayed straps, holes or large pulls, or any weak spots. Don't forget to inspect the rings on a ring sling.
- If you are new to wrapping (with back carries especially), start by practicing over a soft surface such as a bed or sofa or low above the ground until you are confident with wrapping. Using a spotter can be helpful as well, and we can always offer help at our monthly meetings!
- If it's an activity you wouldn't do while holding a baby, don't do it while babywearing!
- Babywearing International has a great graphic on the "A B Cs" of safe babywearing.
If you have any questions about wrapping basics or any of our carries in the challenge, please ask a VBE at one of our monthly meetings or on our Facebook discussion group!
We hope you'll enjoy wrapping along with us for the 30 Day Challenge!
-Lauren Moore, VBE